This always reminds me of my grandmothers house. She would start this simple recipe in the morning, allowing the beans to soak all day (or night sometimes).
- 3 slices bacon, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 lb frankfurters, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (1 lb. 14 oz) pork and beans
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 4-oz Cheddar cheese, sliced about 3/4-inch wide
In a ten inch skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Saute onion, pepper and franks in skillet with bacon until onion is transparent.
In a 3-quart casserole combine all ingredients except cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Arrange cheese slices on top in spoke design. Bake ten minutes longer.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.